Sunday, February 20, 2011

A short trip to Hannover and back

Work took me to the city of Hannover this week. The best part of the trip was my decision to travel by train rather than driving for about 3.5 hours to get there.
I love travelling by train especially the high speed Intercity Express travelling at around 300 km/hr is a real pleasure to travel in!!! Work kept me busy the whole day so seeing the city was only possible late in the evening. I had the chance to visit the new town hall a important landmark in Hannover, it took me a long time to register the fact that this building was a town hall and not a majestic palace.



Yes a building of its size and grand architectural style supposed to have cost the city 10 million marks when it was opened in 1913. The old part of the city or the Altstadt was also beautiful especially the old town hall or the Altes Rathaus is a building with very intricate brickwork all the way back in 1410!!



I really wished that I could also see these building during day time but that will have to wait until the next time I am in the city. Another highlight of the trip was that I got to meet with K a frined of the family who is originally from Bangalore and who is doing her MBA at the GISMA Business School in Hannover. We had a lovely dinner together and some nice conversation and we wished that we had more time. She even got me aware of the fact that the town of Hamlin was just a 40 minute drive from Hannover. Remember the Pied Piper of Hamelin that we all read when we were in school, this whole story was based in this town. Unfortunately time did not permit me to actually go visit this place as much as I would loved to. A very short trip but definitely a memorable one. The CEBIT one of the world's largest trade fairs is always hosted in Hannover and I am sure many of you plan to attend in the first week of March. So in case you are there you now know that the city has a lot more to offer than just work

No comments:

Post a Comment